Our bed and breakfast is an ideal home-base with wonderful sites in all directions. We are just 6 miles from America's Coolest Small Town - Lititz! Upon arrival, we can also supply various brochures and our own personal travel guide with suggested activities, directions, and scenic driving routes. If you'd like to plan your trip in advance, check out the following tourism websites:
In addition, click on the topics below to find out many interesting activities in our area:
- Wolf Sanctuary of PA: A sanctuary for wolves who have found themselves without a place in the natural world. Originally created as a private rescue, the Wolf Sanctuary of PA has grown into an educational facility. It provides a comfortable and stimulating environment for the wolves and gives them back their dignity. 3 miles away
- The Mount Hope Estate and Winery: Home of the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire, open weekends August through October. The estate itself has additional events running year round. 5 miles away
- Kreider Farms Tour: If you would like to visit a large dairy facility, take this 90-minute tour en route to Lancaster. 5 miles away
- Lititz: Voted America's Coolest Small Town in 2013 on Budget Travel, this town is perfect for a pleasant half day of activity with unique attractions like the Wilbur Chocolate Candy Store and Museum and the Julius Sturgis Pretzel Bakery, small shops, and a beautiful park with a playground. Located en route to Lancaster city and Amish-related attractions. 6 miles away
- Mount Gretna: Gretna was established to promote education and culture through the summer programs of the Pennsylvania Chautauqua. Charming cottages and public buildings plus summer events in theater, music, and art are all descended from that movement. This is a community made for strolling! We recommend it on a summer evening with a stop at the legendary Jigger Shop for dinner or ice cream. Most places of interest are only open in the summer. 6 miles away
- Cornwall Iron Furnace: This furnace is an example of the iron furnaces that were prevalent in 18th and 19th century Pennsylvania. It is the only surviving intact furnace in the Western Hemisphere . The tour details the art and science of iron smelting as well as the lives of those who worked there. It is only a couple miles from Mount Gretna. For a nearby restaurant, try Tony’s Mining Company. 9 miles away
- Landis Valley Museum: This authentic Pennsylvania Dutch Living History Museum is located between Lititz and Lancaster. It features craft demonstrations, gardens, and farming. 11 miles away
- Ephrata Cloister: In the mid-1700s a group of German settlers founded this religious community. The buildings have been preserved and give a distinct picture into the lves of the cloister members. 12 miles away
- Downtown Lancaster City: Many people don’t realize that there actually is a city of Lancaster, not just the countryside. Downtown Lancaster is full of attractions—the Central Market, the Fulton Theatre, Gallery Row, the Quilt and Textile Museum, the North Queen Street Shops, plus others. 15 miles away
- Amish country: All of Lancaster County is Amish country. As you drive about, you will see Amish traveling in their buggies and working on their farms. However, the majority of the Amish-themed tourist attractions are clustered around the towns of Bird-in-Hand, Intercourse, and Paradise. We can recommend a wonderful driving route through beautiful farmland to start this day out perfectly. When you get to “Amish Country”, we suggest the town of Intercourse, especially the Kitchen Kettle Village and the Amish Farm and House. 20-25 miles away
- Strasburg: Located in the midst of Amish-themed attractions, Strasburg is an ideal location for train lovers, young and old. There is the Strasburg railroad to ride on, train displays, and train museums. All aboard! 20 miles away
- Hershey: The wonderfully delicious town of Hershey offers Hershey Park and Chocolate World, a zoo, botanical gardens, and other interesting attractions. 25 miles away
If you have a rough itinerary and would like help with restaurant recommendations, please let us know. There are so many delicious options available! Here are some good options:
- Bull's Head Public House: Located in Lititz
- Cat’s Meow: This casual dining restaurant is located in Manheim.
- General Sutter: Located in Lititz.
- Lititz Family Cupboard Restaurant: Features Pennsylvania Dutch Food and is located in Lititz.
- Scooters: Pub style dining located in Lititz.
- The Brickerville House: This restaurant and small shop area is located in Brickerville, midway between our home and Ephrata.
Many of the activities listed elsewhere are kid-friendly. Here are a few more that especially cater to kids.
- Hands-on House Children’s Museum: 11 miles away
- Lancaster Science Factory: 15 miles away
- Dutch Wonderland: This amusement park is geared towards younger children. It is located on Route 30, near the outlets. 20 miles away
- Cherry Crest Farm: This farm has petting area, farm tour, a corn maze, and more. It is located in Ronks (Strasburg). 20 miles away
- Lititz Market: Open on Saturday mornings May through October. 6 miles away
- Roots Market: Manheim market is open on Tuesdays. 8 miles away
- Green Dragon Market: Ephrata market is open on Fridays. 12 miles away
- Central Market: Downtown Lancaster has the Central Market. 14 miles away
- Bird-in-Hand Farmers Market: Located in Bird-in-Hand. 20 miles away
Lancaster outlets located close together off of Route 30 in Lancaster about 20 miles away
- Gretna Theatre: In June and July, the Gretna theater offers performances Thursday through Sunday. There are special children’s performances on Saturday mornings. 6 miles away
- The Timbers Dinner Theatre: The Timbers is a lovely restaurant located in Mount Gretna. In the summer, they also offer dinner theater performances. 6 miles away
- The Ephrata Playhouse: This playhouse is located in Ephrata Community Park. 12 miles away
- The Fulton Opera House: The Fulton Opera House was built in 1852 and is one of the nation’s oldest continuously operating theaters. Today, you can go on weekday tours (11 am) or catch a musical or play. 15 miles away
- The Allen Theatre: This renovated 1900 movie theater is in Annville in Lebanon county. It shows current and foreign films and has occasional live performances. 16 miles away
- The Dutch Apple Dinner Theatre: This dinner theater is located outside of Lancaster. 17 miles away
- The American Music Theatre: This large theater hosts celebrity concerts in addition to producing their own original productions which celebrate music. Located outside of Lancaster, close to Dutch Wonderland and the outlets. 20 miles away
- Sight and Sound Theaters: Sight and Sound is a Christian theater company that holds performances in two separate theaters, the larger Millennium Theater and the intimate Living Waters Theater. Original musicals are based on Bible stories and feature amazing sets, live animals, and wonderful performers. Located in Strasburg. 20 miles away
The tourism websites have complete lists of events and seasonal activities. However, we wanted to highlight several that are in our neighboring towns. If you are interested in any of these events, we can supply you with more information.
- Fridays: There are Friday celebrations in various towns throughout Lancaster almost every week. You’re out of luck if you happen to visit on that occasional Fifth Friday—sorry!
- Penryn Mud Sale:
- July 4th Celebration at Lititz Springs Park
- Lititz Craft Show: August
- Mount Gretna Art Show: August
- Ephrata Fair: September
- Manheim Farm Show: October
- Annual Tour of Homes: December, in the Lititz area.
- Waltz Vineyards: is located in Manheim. They recently opened a winery at their vineyard. 6 miles away
- Park of Governor Dick is located on the way to Mount Gretna, this stop could be teamed with that outing if you enjoy hiking. Of particular interest is a hike to “Governor Dick” a tall cement look-out tower from which you can see 4 counties. 5 miles away
- Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area: This 5000-acre wildlife reserve is located on the border of Lancaster and Lebanon counties. It contains hiking trails, a lake, and visitor’s center with displays and free programs. In November and late February to late March, it is an especially wonderful place to observe the migration of waterfowl, particularly geese and swans. 11 miles away
- Back to Basics Baseball & Softball Academy: This indoor training facility has batting cages, pitching lanes, and instructional areas. 4 miles away
- Golf: Some recommended nearby golf courses are